Today, after finishing with my Saturday morning Strictly Strength athletes, I met my Lean Turkey team, Team Trytophan, for our first team workout! We met at the Austin High track where I was pleasantly surprised to find monkey bars, pullup bars, dip bars, tires, and various other odd objects!!!
These are the makings of something SPICY!!! : )
My co-coach, Jess Estrada, got the group warmed up and then proceeded to put them through a bought of speed work...Just enough to get them ready to rock the SWOD I had in store for them!
This brings me to purpose of this post; I want you to have plenty of SWODs in mind if and when you may need them, say, when you don't have a gym to go to, or if you are in a hotel with a bunch of crappy equipment.
So, here is what we had them do:
3 Rounds with a partner:
- Monkey Bar down OR 15 Partner Pullups(partner B simply assists the pullup by lifting partner A)
- 50m Buddy Carry(fireman's carry or piggyback)
- 6 Partner Tire Flips(both members lift at the same time)
- 10 Mixed Pushups each(using various versions of the move't)
- 5 Partner Jumps (partner A sits on the ground w/ legs extended and arms up and out from the sides, forming a "T". Partner B jumps over R arm, then the legs, then the L arm. That's 1 rep.)
Needless to say, this was a hell of a SWOD that everyone really enjoyed. In fact, many of the team members completed their first monkey bar traverse in as long as 40 years! Pretty freakin' impressive!
It just goes to show that you are completely capable of beginning a strength-training program at any time. You just have to work hard and work smart.
Try this SWOD out for yourself and a friend and let me know how it goes!